Weekend Getaway to Sydney

Sunday 17 January 2016
Am I the only one who experiences a crap ton of writer's block? Not in the normal sense that I literally don't know what to write about, but just that I have so many things I want to share that I have no idea where to even start. This tends to lead to me falling behind in my writing, feeling guilty I haven't written anything and then prolonging my motivation to actually write. If you do experience writer's block...how do you overcome it?

Back in September, I took a trip to Sydney for the weekend. This trip was spent mainly solo exploring all that Sydney has to offer. Who says that exploring alone needs to be taboo or a scary thing? I had an incredible time getting to know the city so many Melbournians despise.  





I got in super late which didn't leave much for the first night. Opting for Airbnb (which was an enjoyable experience), I avoided the hustle and bustle of staying in a hotel in the CBD or the craziness that can come from staying in a hostel. I was staying in Potts Point which actually was a pretty decent place to stay. The next morning I got a super early start to my adventure. I walked down along by the naval base before entering the Royal Botanic Gardens. Like every tourist ever, I wanted to see the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The walk took about 30 minutes even with me frequently stopping to take photos.

This was actually taken from the Harbour Bridge, not the Gardens
That day I clearly had lost my marbles as I decided to walk everywhere. After taking a few, very touristy shots of the Sydney Opera House from the Gardens I thought, "You know what? I'm going to walk across the Sydney Harbour Bridge...alone". 

For those of you who might not know this about me, I have a somewhat irrational fear of going over a bridge. The fear isn't as great when I'm walking because I feel like I have a bit more control but when I'm driving...It's pretty bad (I blame one of my firefighter ex-boyfriends for this fear). Before walking all the way to the bridge, I stopped for some lunch at one of the many outdoor cafes located by the Opera House. From memory, I want to say it was $15 for a pint of beer and a burger from the joint I stopped at. By Australian standards, this is pretty cheap. 

From there I continued my walk to the bridge. I ended up stumbling upon a charming outdoor market located close to the bridge. I spent some time here and ended up buying a cute little present for my dog (because who doesn't buy their dogs gifts when they go away for the weekend?).

I finally made it to the bridge. For the first few meters, I actually didn't have any issues. Once I reached the middle of the bridge though, I started having a little wave of panic roll over me. I was on the bridge, alone, slightly paralysed with fear when it hit me. I needed to put my big girl pants on and get over it. I was on the middle of the bridge. I couldn't stay there forever and let fear consume me. So I continued walking until I reached the end. I walked a little bit farther to Sydney's Luna Park. Not gonna lie, I enjoyed Luna Park. I took a bit of a rest before walking back over the bridge.
Isn't this just an amazing view?
The walk back through the gardens during sunset proved to provide some awesome pictures. That night was spent eating some amazing Italian food near Kings Cross. I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant because it was really good! I capped off the night watching the Chelsea game at a bar before returning home for the adventures that awaited the following day. 

Find out how to make the most of 48 hours in Sydney by clicking here



Until next time...
Stay curious!

1 comment