Exploring The Penguin Parade at Phillip Island

Wednesday 1 April 2015
Come with me, friends! I'll teach you how to penguin! 

This magical moment happens every night on Phillip Island. If you live in Melbourne, you don't have to travel all the way to Phillip Island to witness it, but it sure is worth it. Every night these little floofs waddle their way from the treacherous seas after a long day of fishing, to snuggle in for the evening. You would think watching penguins returning to their home would not be that exciting. However, it's just like watching a bunch of puppies running around gleefully (if you pretend this does not bring you happiness and joy you're a liar, and we can't be friends). I was beyond spoiled to have one of my first Australian dates here and had to share the experience with a friend when she came to visit.

Phillip Island Penguin Parade June 2014
Tip #1: It seems regardless of the time of year, the Penguin Parade will be COLD!  I assumed going during summer would mean I didn't have to dress as though I was visiting the Arctic; boy was I wrong!! We ended up making a pitstop so that I could buy a pair of pants. By some miracle, the only store open happened to sell sweatpants. Were they the most fashionable sweatpants, no. But they did their job of keeping me somewhat warm. Be prepared and bring a blanket and a towel. The bleachers can get a bit damp and sitting in wet clothes is never a fun experience. 



Definitely bundle up!

Tip #2: If you're going during peak season (i.e. summer), get there at least 30 minutes early. There will be heaps and heaps of people/buses. Getting there early ensures you will get the best view possible. I would recommend sitting at along either side end of the bleachers. This will give you a clear view of the penguins returning home. Unless you're down to get a little wet, I would avoid sitting on the beach or the lower section of the bleachers. Depending on the time of year, the tide can rise quite a bit. 

Wallaby looking a bit lost

Tip #3: Don't spend all your time watching the penguins coming in from the water. Some of the best, up close views are on the walk back to the car park. This is probably my favourite part! It becomes increasingly tempting to "leave" your purse laying around in hopes one little guy will waddle in and BAM! pet penguin. You quite literally walk alongside with the penguins as they head home. It's adorable and will melt your heart.

Venturing in from the sea
Let's all say it together...."aaawwww!!"
As a final warning, you're not allowed to use flash photography while enjoying the Penguin Parade. I've seen quite a few people get yelled at while attempting to photograph the penguins. Before the start of the penguin parade, you are allowed to snap photos. Just be respectful and listen to the rangers. I'm sure you wouldn't enjoy having a bright flash going off in your eye while you were trying to escape death on your way home. If you can't resist snapping a photo, and don't get caught by the rangers, please make sure there is no flash on your phone. But try to refrain and just enjoy the moment. 

And until next time...
Stay curious!



15 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Glad you've been enjoying the posts!

      Delete
    2. Hi not sure how to comment, so sorry if im replying on someone else's comment.

      But I absolutely loved reading about the penguin parade. It's just amazing the trek they make to reach shore. And they're just too cute!

      Delete
  2. Aww, I would love to get the chance to see a penguin up close one day!
    -Alexandria

    ReplyDelete
  3. this seems like such a blast! ive been loving all of your posts bci want to travel to australia so bad- so it makes me feel as if im there with you ha ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you've been enjoying them! Hopefully you're starting to get a nice long list of incredible stuff to do if you're ever in Melbourne!

      Delete
  4. This would be so fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful beach views. Too funny to leave your purse just lying around and "bam a pet penguin" will wander in. Thanks for the laugh. Fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many gorgeous beaches in Australia! Eventually I'll have to do a whole post on them. Glad you enjoyed the post. Be sure to check it out if your even in Australia!

      Delete
  6. This is so cool! I've never seen penguins in the wild, but it's definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is one of the neatest experiences I've had in Australia. I love going down to the pier in St. Kilda because you can see them there as well!

      Delete